The title says it all, decadence in one bite! Adapted from a Wolfgang Puck recipe, elegant with or without the caviar and yet another guaranteed crowd pleaser….
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche (can substitute w/lowfat sour cream)
- 1 tsp chopped dill
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TBLSP snipped chives
- 1 large sweet potato and 1/2 an apple, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 TBLSP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb thin sliced smoked salmon
- 2 ounces caviar
- In a small bowl, stir the crème fraîche w/dill and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chives. Refrigerate.
- Coarsely shred potatoes, onion, and apple (box grater works well). Transfer to a clean kitchen towel to squeeze dry (don’t skip this step, pancakes won’t stay together/cook well otherwise!).
- In another bowl, mix shredded goods with the egg, flour, baking powder, a bit of salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil In a large nonstick skillet. Drop 2 TBLSP of potato mixture into the skillet and flatten with the back of a spoon to make a 3-inch round. Make pancakes, cooking over moderately high heat a few minutes on each side, until pancakes turn golden.
- Arrange pancakes on a platter, topping with smoked salmon, dill cream, and caviar.
(Adapted from Wolfgang Puck’s recipe)