Tabbouleh, a simple ethnic touch to a regular weeknight grilled chicken routine. Low in fat, yet high in fiber, essential nutrients, complex carbohydrates, light yet filling and tasty….perfect!
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup bulgar wheat
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (2 bunches)
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)
- 1 cucumber, medium-diced
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
Pour boiling water over the bulgur wheat. Add the lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Stir. Cover and allow bulgar to stand at room temperature for now.
In the meanwhile set grill to medium-low, prepare chicken breasts with light seasoning, EVOO, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Grill about 5 minutes on one side and 10 minutes on the other.
Add the scallions, basil, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, dash of salt and pepper, and a final squeeze of lemon to the bulgar wheat.
To serve I sliced up some avocado, serving the flesh with the chicken and reserving the shell as a bowl to serve the tabbouleh. Bon appetit!
(Adapted from recipe by FoodNetwork’s Barefoot Contessa)